Monday, April 25, 2016

Analyzing a Job Posting

Everyone, at some time in their life, has to look at, and respond to a job posting.  This response usually includes a resume and cover letter.  What many people concentrate on while composing these documents are their own specific skills and experience, which are very important.  But the one thing that people often forget is that they can hand tailor their resume and cover letter for each specific position that they apply for.  Some of the things that one could research before composing a resume and a cover letter for a specific position include: the nature of the company's business, its values, its corporate structure, its history, and also its accomplishments.  Then, after researching these items, one could link them to their own personal values, structure, history, and accomplishments.  I am going to go through the process that I took while researching and typing a resume and cover letter as if I were applying for the position.

Job Posting

The job posting that I will be "applying for" is for a Part-Time Student Position in Forestry Quality Engineering through John Deere.  I found the posting on John Deere's website, by conducting a simple search.  The position is located in Dubuque Iowa. The posting itself is located at the end of this article.

History
While researching the history of John Deere I was surprised to find out that John Deere, as a company, has been around since 1837.  But it wasn't until 1918 that it started manufacturing tractors.
The way that I would link my history to that of John Deere is I would state that I have a farm background, and my family has been using John Deere machinery since the 1940s.  I may even state that I helped restore my great-grandfather's 1949 John Deere MT (a model of tractor).

Values

The John Deere website states that its four core values are integrity, quality, commitment, and innovation.  Knowing this, I would try to show that my personal values line up with those of the company.  I would state how I was raised ,embedded the fact that quality is what matters, and that if something wasn't done right, it had to be done again.  I would also possibly state how I helped redesign the tool inventory process at one of my previous jobs, to make it far more easy to operate and also perform much better. This would align with their values of quality and innovation.

How to put these into a cover letter/resume

Just simply knowing about a company, and relating it to yourself, will not make your cover letter better.  While creating your cover letter, you want to point out these similarities, but then expand upon them.  You don't want to focus on the company's achievements, but your own. And the last thing that you want to do is sound desperate.  You want to be polite, but not a brown-noser. They could interpret this to mean that you do everything that you are told and not think for yourself. 


Job Posting

There are 7 billion people on this planet and by 2050, there will be 2 billion more. Making sure there is enough food, fiber and infrastructure for our rapidly growing world is what we’re all about at John Deere. It’s why we’re investing in our people and our technology like never before in our 175-year history. Here, the world’s brightest minds are tackling the world’s biggest challenges. RIGHT NOW.


Job Description 

No comments:

Post a Comment